In 1880, the Pairpoint Manufacturing Company (named after its first superintendent, Thomas J. Pairpoint) was established in New Bedford to supply Mt. Washington with attractive silver-plated metal mounts. The companies thrived and collaborated, and in 1894, merged under The Pairpoint Manufacturing Co. name.
In 1900, the Company reorganized as The Pairpoint Corporation. Large quantities of translucent white glass were produced for colorful enamel decoration, and in the early 20th century the company's distinctive decorated lampshades gained international popularity. (Reversed painted and puffy lampshades.)
Pairpoint continued to prosper through the 1920s and early 1930s. In 1939, the factory was closed. Successor firms, including the Gundersen Glass Works and Gundersen-Pairpoint, continued production in New Bedford until 1957. Today, after many reincarnations, locations, and different ownership, Pairpoint is still producing hand-made glassware in Sagamore, MA, on nearby Cape Cod.
While there are many types of glassware produced by Pairpoint, the focus of this page are the range of candle lamps referred to as "Pairpoint Puffy"