The Central Glass Co. was formed in Wheeling, WV, in 1863 by a group of workers from the Barnes, Hobbs and Co (later known as Hobbs, Brockunier and Co). They pooled together $5,000 to start their own glass works in an old pork packing plant and distillery.
Fire destroyed the factory in 1888, but it was immediately rebuilt. The factory developed into one of the largest producers of glass in the U.S., producing train car loads that were shipped worldwide. In 1891, Central Glass joined the U.S. Glass Co. combine, later the same year.
The plant closed from 1893 to 1895. The plat reopened it as 'Central Glass Works' in January, 1896, however, no glass was produced until 1898. In 1901, the factory was again destroyed by fire and was rebuilt a second time.
In 1919 Central was the only glass factory still operating in Wheeling. The plant closed briefly in 1932 due to the depression and prohibition. When prohibition was repealed, Central resumed operation. In 1939 Central closed it's doors for good, selling their molds to Imperial Glass Company.